Meet Dr. Yola Dabrowski, ex-wife of NFL star Amani Toomer. Yola and Amani married in Oct. 2002 in Las Vegas, but after 5 years marriage they decided to call it quits. In 2007, Amani sued to annul his marriage to Yola.
In court papers filed, Amani said his wife, Yola Dabrowski, refused to have children. Amani says, she had at least three abortions without his knowledge or consent. He also claims she refused to undergo treatment for depression and often smoked in his presence despite knowing that it exacerbated his asthma. Toomer’s complaint characterizes Dabrowski’s actions as a “fraud against the essentials of the marriage.”
Dabrowski, said that Toomer was “unduly demanding” for s*x — once urinating on her clothing when she wasn’t in the mood. She also said in court papers that she didn’t want a family with Toomer because she didn’t think he’d be there “emotionally or physically” for a child.
Dabrowski, who has been granted $11,000 a month in temporary support, wanted permanent alimony and half the couple’s marital assets.
Toomer’s filings also included claims that Yola:
* Quit marriage counseling after just two sessions, because she was “tired of lying to therapists.”
* Does not like watching his games, and often ridicules instead of praises his play. She “even had the audacity to poke fun . . . when he made a catch [and] stumbled without being tackled,” he alleges. And, she “always chose to travel [on vacations] separate” from him, opting to be alone and meet other people, making Toomer feel “abandoned and unloved.”
* “Has begun smoking” although Toomer “has asthma and it is unhealthy for his profession to be near a smoker.”
* “Basically abandoned” their Toomer Foundation, a charity they set up to help needy kids.
Dabrowski’s papers complained that Toomer:
* Wouldn’t let her sleep “unless she had s*x with him” and harassed her by turning on the lights and television to force her from their bedroom.
* Sabotaged her dream of becoming a lawyer by stealing her computer and files, making it impossible to study for her law-school exams and leading to her getting an incomplete for the term.
* Was so “insecure” that he couldn’t interact with his own family, friends, accountants, agents and publicists – and insisted Dabrowski do it for him.
* Forced her to put her chiropractic career on hold so she could spend two years decorating their $2 million West New York waterfront condo, “demanding” it “reflect a style and décor consistent with his position as an NFL athlete.” After that was done, he told her they were moving – and made her do the same thing with the new place.
After two days of closed door negotiations, New Jersey State Superior Court Judge Maureen Montineo granted the divorce to Amani Toomer and Yola Dabrowski citing irreconcilable differences in 2007. While terms of the settlement were not disclosed, Toomer said, “It wasn’t great for me and it wasn’t great for her”.
Currently, Yola Dabrowski is working as a Chiropractor and real estate investor in California. Dabrowski oversees the Kyro Group and Sama Investments, both angel investing consortiums.Yola also takes an active role in community redevelopment through her real estate portfolio and improving the livability and market value of her properties. Yola Dabrowski’s charitable work has also positively impacted underserved communities around the world. Dabrowski received her Bachelor’s of Science Degree in Biology from the University of Michigan, and earned her Doctor of Chiropractic from the prestigious Palmer College of Chiropractic West, in San Jose California.
On August 4, 2009, Amani Toomer Toomer was signed to a one-year contract with the Kansas City Chiefs, but was later released on September 1st, 2009.