Best known for her starring role as the southern belle Whitley Gilbert on the NBC television sitcom A Different World (1987-1993), Jasmine Guy began her television career with a non-speaking role, as a dancer, in ten episodes of the 1982 television series Fame. She has also performed voice over work for animation and has appeared in numerous films including Stomp the Yard 2: Homecoming, October Baby, Scary Movie 5 and True Loved.
Guy was raised in the affluent historic Collier Heights neighborhood of Atlanta, Georgia. She attended Northside Performing Arts High School, later renamed North Atlanta High School and later moved to New York to study dance at the Alvin Ailey American Dance Center.
Jasmine Guy’s Weight and Height:
Jasmine Guy’s height is 5 ft 2 in and she weighs approximately 130 lbs. (Source)
Jasmine Guy’s Birthday/Age:
Jasmine Guy was born on March 10, 1962.
Jasmine Guy’s Personal Life – 7 Things You May Not Know:
1. In August 1998, Guy married Terrence Duckett. They have one child together named Imani. After 10 years of marriage, the couple parted ways in April 2008.
2. Jasmine Guy’s first appearance on the big screen came in 1988 in Spike Lee’s musical-drama film School Daze, where she played the role of Dina (a member of the light-skinned, straight-haired African American women of Gamma Ray).
3. Guy was nominated for and won six consecutive NAACP Image Awards for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series, from 1990 to 1995.
4. jasmine’s sister, Monica Guy, was often her stand-in on the set of A Different World (1987).
5. Guy released her self-titled debut album in 1990, which peaked at #143 on the US Top 200 Album Chart.
6. Guy was good friends with the late rapper and actor Tupac Shakur and remains close friends with his mother, Afeni Shakur.
7. Guy has an African American father and a Cape Verdean American mother.