Meet Marilyn Jones Mosby, a lawyer and currently the State’s Attorney for Baltimore, Maryland. Mosby, the youngest top prosecutor in a major US city, became of prominence on May 1, 2015 when she charged the six Baltimore police officers involved in the death of Freddie Gray.
Here are 5 fast facts you probably did not know:
1. Mosby was raised in the Boston neighborhood of Dorchester, by her grandfather, who was one of the first black police officers in Massachusetts. Also, Her mother and father were both police officers.
2. She attended Dover-Sherborn High School, and received a scholarship to Tuskegee University, Alabama. She earned her Juris Doctor degree from Boston College Law School.
3. Mosby’s interest in becoming a lawyer was motivated by the murder of her 17-year-old cousin outside her home, when he was mistakenly identified as a drug dealer and killed by another 17-year-old.
4. Marilyn is married to Nick Mosby, a Baltimore city councilman. The couple met in college while attending Tuskegee University. They have been married since 2005 and have two daughters together.
5. Mosby served as Assistant State’s Attorney for Baltimore City from 2005 to 2012. In 2012, she became a litigator for Liberty Mutual Insurance. On January 8, 2015, Mosby was sworn into office as the State’s Attorney for Baltimore.